Presidential Election 2011 Nomination Day & Polling Day Dates Announced!
The Prime Minister announces 17 August 2011 as Nomination Day at People’s Association, 9 King George’s Avenue, Singapore 208581.
27 August 2011 (Saturday) will be the Polling Day if more than one candidate stands nominated for election.
Press release is as followed…
STATEMENT FROM PRIME MINISTER’S OFFICE: PRESIDENTIAL ELECTION 2011
WRIT OF ELECTION
1. The Prime Minister has issued the Writ announcing 17 August 2011 as Nomination Day, and the People’s Association, 9 King George’s Avenue, Singapore 208581 as the place for the nomination of candidates.
2. The Returning Officer is Mr Yam Ah Mee, Chief Executive Director of the People’s Association.
3. Nomination papers are now available at the office of the Returning Officer at Elections Department, 11 Prinsep Link, Singapore 187949 during office hours . Soft copies of the form can also be downloaded at the Elections Department website http://www.elections.gov.sg.
4. The nomination paper must be filled up correctly and signed by the candidate and his/her proposer, seconder and at least four assentors whose names appear in the current registers of electors and be delivered in duplicate to the Returning Officer between 11 am and 12 noon on Nomination Day.
CERTIFICATE OF ELIGIBILITY
5 Every candidate must apply for a Certificate of Eligibility from the Presidential Elections Committee. Application forms can be obtained from the office of the Secretary, Presidential Elections Committee, at the Elections Department (located at 11 Prinsep Link, Singapore 187949). Applications must reach the office of the Secretary, Presidential Elections Committee, not later than 6 August 2011 (Saturday), 1.00pm.
6. The Certificate of Eligibility shall, for the purposes of the Presidential Election, certify that:
a. the Committee is satisfied that the person is a person of integrity, good character and reputation; and
b. where the person states that he desires to contest the election by virtue of being qualified under Article 19(2)(g)(iv) of the Constitution of the Republic of Singapore, that the Committee is of the opinion that the person, having held office for a period of not less than 3 years in such position of seniority and responsibility in such organisation or department in the public or private sector as described in Article 19(2)(g)(iv) of the Constitution, has such experience and ability in administering and managing financial affairs as to enable him to carry out effectively the functions and duties of the office of President of the Republic of Singapore.
POLITICAL DONATION CERTIFICATE
7. Every candidate must also obtain a Political Donation Certificate from the Registrar of Political Donations. Application for the Certificate shall be made by the submission of a pre-election donation report (Form 3) and a pre-election declaration (Form 4) to the office of the Registrar of Political Donations at the Elections Department not later than 13 August 2011 (Saturday), 1.00pm. Application forms can be obtained from the Elections Department or downloaded from the Election Department website: http://www.elections.gov.sg.
8. The deposit payable by each candidate is $48,000. It shall be paid either in cash or by a bank draft or a certified cheque (payable to “Accountant-General, Singapore”). Payment can be made at any time but not later than 12 noon on Nomination Day. Payments can be made at the Accountant-General’s Department, 100 High Street, #06-01, The Treasury, Singapore 179434 or at the Nomination Centre on Nomination Day.
9. If more than one candidate stands nominated for election at the close of nominations on Nomination Day, the Returning Officer will declare 27 August 2011 (Saturday) to be the Polling Day. Polling Day will be a public holiday.